Sunday, February 15, 2009

Grandma Callister And Her Fruit Pies

I wrote this piece before Thanksgiving. I know that I am still catching up. Sorry everyone. My kids just wear me out and I don't have much time for reflection. Grandma Callister made pies that both looked and tasted better than mine. But hey, she had a long lifetime to perfect her craft.
Around here, fall is an amazing season. We celebrate is with all the trees changing colors, the pumpkins and the apple picking. We taste apple bread, apple cider, apple donuts and of course, apple pies. Everyone should come and experience fall in New England if they get the chance. I love sharing it with my children now.

I made a bunch of pies from the apples we picked that I mentioned in an earlier blog post. As I tried to make them, my thoughts turned to my Grandma Callister. I loved her so much...

Here's to you Grandma. Whenever I eat a fruit pie, I think of you. The family ate one a few days after your funeral. You made it the previous summer with Uncle Bill, although you wouldn't have remembered it. You needed a lot of help during those days.

We will all miss you but we know that finally, at 93, you burst into the eternities to be with Grandpa Callister. Your little frail mortal body could no longer hold your beautiful, loving, faithful and valiant spirit.

I can't thank you and Grandpa enough for your love, your examples and your teachings. I wasn't very good at expressing my feelings when you were alive Grandpa. My goodbyes to you were not sufficient and I know that you understand and know what I am talking about. But I love you.

Grandma, sometimes I think that if we had both lived in the same place and we were the same age, that we would have been best friends. You always seemed much younger that you were.

The older I get, I grow to appreciate more what you have done for me and all of those whose lives you have touched.

We are all grateful for you life, your love, your faith, and of course, your fruit pies. You brought sweetness to our lives that only a Grandma can bring.

Soon we will all take a few moments to thank Heavenly Father for our bounteous blessings. Then we will experience the winter solstice and celebrate the festival of lights and the birth of our Savior. But for now, with these last apples of the season, I make some pies and I think of you Grandma.

So here is to you Grandma Callister. Until we meet again.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Love you!

ProudPapa said...

Beautiful, Sweetheart! Thank you for the picture. (The essay and the pie were also very beautiful.)

Love you, Honey.

Jeff and Amy said...

I got all teary eyed reading that. It really was beautiful. I always felt like I missed out a little on knowing Grandma and Grandpa because we stopped seeing them as much once I came around, so it is always so nice to hear others who knew them better talk of them.

Pauli Driver-Smith said...

Melinda, this is a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. I never knew my paternal grandmother as she died when my father was four, but I had the privilege of knowing my maternal grandmother, Ida May Polly (whom I was named for)as she came to live with us when I was 13.

Our grandparents have the ability to teach us things that our parents can't - perhaps because they don't have to worry about the things that parents do. They just can love you unconditionally, occasionally break the rules, intervene on your behalf, and tell you the stories that only they have lived.

I'm so glad that you had the experiences you did, growing up and knowing your beloved grandmother. All of our lives are fuller, because you cared to share your memories of her.

Love & Light,
Polly